Instructional Tools for the 21st Century Math Teacher
Developing diverse problem solvers and communicators, not human calculators.
One cannot find the answer unless one asks the right question.
Life (and math) is about relationships.
Top-Rated Resources: Organized by Standard
Inside Mathematics* - MARS tasks, rubrics, student examples, "re-engagement with the task" process (productive struggle)
Engage NY* - Math resources in PDF and Word format
Mathalicious* - Lessons that explore the math behind real-world topics, from sports to shopping to the odds of finding life on other planets. These lessons foster a classroom culture of curiosity and rigorous mathematical thinking. Teachers who use Mathalicious lessons say they enjoy their jobs more, and their students look forward to coming to class. Imagine that. (Subscription)
Additional Resources: Organized by Standard
- Andrew Stadel (3 ACT math folder) - Estimation 180 - building number sense, reasoning, and problem-solving one day at a time (organized by day and concept)
- Dane Ehlert (3 ACT math by grade level/course) - More 3-Act math lessons and worksheets
- Kyle Pearce & Tap into Teen Minds (3-ACT math) - Real world problems
- Graham Fletcher (3 ACT math) - Even more 3-Act lessons
- Timon Piccini (3 ACT math by concept) - Math modeling blog and activities, grade 6-11
- Emergent Math - Problem-based curriculum maps with linked lessons!
- Math Mistakes - This site is about compiling, analyzing, and discussing the mathematical errors that students make.
- Yummy Math - Relevant mathematics in today's world
- Common Core Connect - Lessons organized by grade level and standard (Tulare DOE)
- New York City Tasks - An assortment of free Common Core-aligned tasks and units of study searchable by keyword, grade level, subject area, and standard.
- Problem-Based Search Engine
- Open Middle - Challenging math problems worth solving
- Learn Zillion - math lessons grades 3-9
- Next Lesson Math Performance Tasks (Fee) - Thousands of standards-aligned lessons that engage students by combining personal relevance, rigor, and real world context.
- Smarter Balanced Digital Library Sign On
- BetterLesson - organized by standard
- Math Practice Illustration Problems
- TenMarks - Common Core enrichment for grades 1-12
- Mathchimp - Common Core practice through games for grades K-8
- MrNaussbaum.com - fun site for students to practice math & ELA problems aligned to Common Core
- Scootpad - free, adaptive skills resources for K-5 in math and reading
Conceptual and Application Based Lessons
Cognitive Guided Instruction
Other Instructional Resources
Common Core Math Standards, Frameworks, Progressions, and Assessments
Standards for Mathematical Practices
Common Core Math Resources from Other Districts, Counties, and States
- Common Core Connect - List of web-based resources for math
- NCTM Core Math Tools
- Mathematics Georgia Standards (K-5) - Curriculum maps and units with linked higher DOK and conceptual problems.
- Mathematics Georgia Standards (6-8)
- Mathematics Georgia Standards (9-12)
- Eureka Math Overview - Curriculum maps
- Eureka Math PDF Modules (enhanced version of Engage NY Math) - Teacher and student versions for printable task, assessments, rubrics, and answer keys with FREE sign up.
- Additional Engage NY Math resources (Modules in Word format) - Curriculum maps
- North Carolina Math Frameworks - Provides many examples to further clarify content standards.
- North Carolina (K-5) Math Resources and Assessments - Curriculum maps
- North Carolina (6-8) Math Resources and Assessments
- North Carolina (9-12) Math Resources and Assessments
- Downey USD Curriculum Maps: Kindergarten, 1st grade, 2nd grade, 2nd grade overview, 3rd grade,4th grade, 5th grade
- Silicon Valley Math Initiative - Curriculum maps
- Louisiana K-12 Planning Resources - Curriculum maps, problem sets, performance tasks
- SBAC Sample Items and Performance Tasks with Scoring
- PARCC Practice Tests
- K-5 Math Teaching Resources
Common Core Math Video Resources
Parent and Student Resources
The World is an interesting place. Math class should be, too. - Mathalicious