Instructional Tools for the 21st Century Science Teacher
Making sense of phenomena and designing solutions for real-world problems through curiosity, collaboration, and engineering skills.
Education is not the learning of the facts, but the training of the mind to think. ~Albert Einstein
Core NGSS Resources
NGSS Standards & Frameworks
- A Framework for K-12 Science Education (The WHY)
- NGSS Standards (The WHAT)
- California Science Framework DRAFT (The HOW)
- Venn Diagram - Convergence of science, math, and ELA practices
- Evidence of Learning Statements - Observable and measurable components that, if met, will satisfy NGSS performance expectations; organized by grade level and DCI.
- Bundling Standards (released June 2016) - Show connections between ideas, facilitate phenomenon-driven instruction, and promote efficient use of instructional time. They can form end goals for instruction at a similar scale to that of traditional curricular units. Several bundles can be assembled such that they coherently address all of the standards found within a grade level of instruction, including possible time frames for instruction and assessment; when this process is done strategically, the bundles can form the outline of an entire course.
- VIDEO (3:00) - Phenomena are an essential part of implementing the NGSS. But what are phenomena, and how can they be used?
- Progression of Scientific and Engineering Practices in Grades K–12 (NGSS CA Framework, June 2016)
- Appendix 1 - Recommended Literature for Science Classrooms (NGSS CA Framework, June 2016)
- Glossary of 3-Dimension Overview Flyer (NGSS CA Framework, June 2016)
- Glossary of Acronyms (NGSS CA Framework, June 2016)
- Ventura County Office of Education - NGSS Professional Learning for ADMINISTRATORS Planning Guide
- Ventura County Office of Education - NGSS Professional Learning for TEACHERS Planning Guide
- How Today's Students Learn Science (infographic)
- NGSS Parent Guides
Additional NGSS Resources