Instructional Tools for the 21st Century Global Social Studies Teacher
Developing knowledgeable, thinking, and active citizens.
Know the past; read, write, and think deeply; and act in ways that promote the common good. - C3 Framework
- 2016 California History-Social Science Framework
- 2013 C3 Framework
- 2010 CCSS Literacy Standards for History, Grades 6-12
- CCSS Literacy Standards for History - Skills, Concepts, and Question Stems, Grade 6-8
- CCSS Literacy Standards for History - Skills, Concepts, and Question Stems, Grade 9-10
- CCSS Literacy Standards for History - Skills, Concepts, and Question Stems, Grade 11-12
- DBQ Project - series of long (DBQs) and short (Mini-Qs) primary source document activities that focus on close reading and evidence-based writing. Many of the DBQ Project’s activities require students to compare differing historical accounts and share their analysis via jigsaw activities.
- TCI online History Alive!
- Read Like a Historian - consists of 75+ free primary source-based lessons that encompass the traditional United States history curriculum.
- Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History - an array of programs for schools that focus on teaching with primary source documents, including large collection of unique historical documents), teacher resources, and lesson plans.
- National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS)
- California Council for the Social Studies (CCSS)
- Stanford History Education Group (SHEG) - Reading Like a Historian curriculum, Historical Thinking Matters curriculum, and Beyond the Bubble assessments for teaching with primary sources
- Best of History Website (edtechteacher)
- NEWSELA - Unlock curiosity with articles at 5 adaptive reading levels
Grades K-4 Inquiry Topics and Key Ideas (New York)
Grades 5-8 Inquiry Topics and Key Ideas (New York)
Grades 9-12 Inquiry Topics and Key Ideas (New York)
- Teaching History with Google - Use Historical Imagery to travel back in time and view places to see how they have changed. Learn more about the US Presidents, their birthplaces, and the progression of states that voted during elections.
College, Career, and Civic Life (C3) Framework for Social Studies State Standards
8.25.16 Professional Development Resources