Instructional Tools for the 21st Century Math Teacher
The World is an interesting place. Math class should be, too. - Mathalicious
Developing diverse problem solvers and communicators, not human calculators.
One cannot find the answer unless one asks the right question.
Life, like math, is about relationships.
Top-Rated Resources: Organized by Standard
Inside Mathematics - MARS tasks, rubrics, student examples, "re-engagement with the task" process (productive struggle)
Engage NY - Math resources in PDF and Word format
Mathalicious - Lessons that explore the math behind real-world topics, from sports to shopping to the odds of finding life on other planets. These lessons foster a classroom culture of curiosity and rigorous mathematical thinking. Teachers who use Mathalicious lessons say they enjoy their jobs more, and their students look forward to coming to class. Imagine that. (Subscription)
Additional Resources: Organized by Standard
- Andrew Stadel (3 ACT math folder) - Estimation 180 - building number sense, reasoning, and problem-solving one day at a time (organized by day and concept)
- Dane Ehlert (3 ACT math by grade level/course) - More 3-Act math lessons and worksheets
- Kyle Pearce & Tap into Teen Minds (3-ACT math) - Real world problems
- Graham Fletcher (3 ACT math) - Even more 3-Act lessons
- Timon Piccini (3 ACT math by concept) - Math modeling blog and activities, grade 6-11
- Emergent Math - Problem-based curriculum maps with linked lessons!
- NRICH - FREE enrichment material (Problems, Articles and Games) for all ages that really can help to inspire and engage learners and embed RICH tasks into everyday practice.
- Math Mistakes - This site is about compiling, analyzing, and discussing the mathematical errors that students make.
- Yummy Math - Relevant mathematics in today's world
- Common Core Connect - Lessons organized by grade level and standard (Tulare DOE)
- New York City Tasks - An assortment of free Common Core-aligned tasks and units of study searchable by keyword, grade level, subject area, and standard.
- Problem-Based Search Engine
- Open Middle - Challenging math problems worth solving
- Learn Zillion - math lessons grades 3-9
- Next Lesson Math Performance Tasks (Fee) - Thousands of standards-aligned lessons that engage students by combining personal relevance, rigor, and real world context.
- Smarter Balanced Digital Library Sign On
- BetterLesson - organized by standard
- Math Practice Illustration Problems
- TenMarks - Common Core enrichment for grades 1-12
- Mathchimp - Common Core practice through games for grades K-8
- MrNaussbaum.com - fun site for students to practice math & ELA problems aligned to Common Core
- Scootpad - free, adaptive skills resources for K-5 in math and reading
- Splat! - free and very powerful, highly interactive number sense strategy that can be used at any grade level!
- Crazy Math Teacher Lady (Trying really really hard to be awesome!) - Extensive file cabinet of warm up activities, plus Geometry curriculum-based resources.
Conceptual and Application Based Lessons
Cognitive Guided Instruction
Other Instructional Resources
- Online curriculum resources (based on research from UbL) for students and teachers (free and paid versions)
- Thinking Blocks App - Model your math problems!
Would You Rather?
- Asking students to choose their own path and justify it with math
- Counting Circle - develops number sense, mental math, and community
- Balance Puzzles - help students solve and understand algebraic equations
Which One Doesn't Belong - website dedicated to providing thought-provoking puzzles for math teachers and students alike. There are no answers provided as there are many different, correct ways of choosing which one doesn't belong. Enjoy!
- Number Talk Images
Math/Number Talks - short, ongoing daily routine that provides students with meaningful ongoing practice with computation.
Mathwire - Activities and worksheets from the constructivist approach to learning mathematics
Number Nut - introduction to math and its variety of topics
SDCOE - mirrors skills needed for SBAC testing in grades 3 through high school
- Math = LOVE - free lessons, practice structures, games, etc.
- GregTangMath - Word problem generator with the models and ability to choose the problem type, unknown, and number range. The fluency games Ten Frame Mania, Math Limbo, and NumTanga are also awesome!
- Becoming the Math Teacher You Wish You'd Had - Companion website/resources for the book by Tracy Zager.
- MathBits - Fun, yet challenging, lessons and activities in secondary (and college level) mathematics and computer programming for students and teachers.
- Math Mistakes - This site is about compiling, analyzing and discussing the mathematical errors that students make.
- Matific - online math games and worksheets for K-6 students
- Fraction Resources!
- Fractions Calculators - This helpful calculator adds, subtracts, multiplies, divides, and simplifies fractions. The solution shows how the problem was solved to get the correct answer.
Common Core Math Standards, Frameworks, Progressions, and Assessments
Standards for Mathematical Practices
Common Core Math Resources from Other Districts, Counties, and States
- Common Core Connect - List of web-based resources for math
- NCTM Core Math Tools
- Mathematics Georgia Standards (K-5) - Curriculum maps and units with linked higher DOK and conceptual problems.
- Mathematics Georgia Standards (6-8)
- Mathematics Georgia Standards (9-12)
- Eureka Math Overview - Curriculum maps
- Eureka Math PDF Modules (enhanced version of Engage NY Math) - Teacher and student versions for printable task, assessments, rubrics, and answer keys with FREE sign up.
- Additional Engage NY Math resources (Modules in Word format) - Curriculum maps
- North Carolina Math Frameworks - Provides many examples to further clarify content standards.
- North Carolina (K-5) Math Resources and Assessments - Curriculum maps
- North Carolina (6-8) Math Resources and Assessments
- North Carolina (9-12) Math Resources and Assessments
- Downey USD Curriculum Maps: Kindergarten, 1st grade, 2nd grade, 2nd grade overview, 3rd grade,4th grade, 5th grade
- Silicon Valley Math Initiative - Curriculum maps
- Louisiana K-12 Planning Resources - Curriculum maps, problem sets, performance tasks
- SBAC Sample Items and Performance Tasks with Scoring
- PARCC Practice Tests
- K-5 Math Teaching Resources
Common Core Math Video Resources
Parent and Student Resources