Instructional Tools for the 21st Century Science Teacher
Making sense of phenomena and designing solutions for real-world problems through curiosity, collaboration, and engineering skills.
Education is not the learning of the facts, but the training of the mind to think. ~Albert Einstein
Core NGSS Resources
- NGSS Storylines - 3-dimensional learning that makes science learning all about investigations grounded in students' own questions
- NASA for Educators
- CK-12 Science
- The Concord Consortium - interactive simulations and modeling by subject area (biology, chemistry, earth and space science, physics, and engineering
- Middle School Chemistry
- Science Snacks (Exploratorium)
- SEP Lessons (Science Investigations)
- NGSS Activities organized by the 3-Dimensions
- NGSS Now Newsletter - The most up-to-date information and resources for NGSS via a monthly newsletter.
- #ProjectPhenomena - Database of science phenomena for NGSS aligned instruction. A criteria for identifying and selecting good phenomenon tool is provided.
- Phenomena for NGSS - Creating the next generation of student engagement
- Using Phenomena in NGSS-Designed Lessons and Units
- 5E Lesson Model Overview - Definition, Teacher & Student Actions
- 5E Model of Instruction Lesson Planning Template (Google docs)
- CER (Claim-Evidence-Reasoning) Infographic
- CER Overview for Classrooms
- 3-Dimension Individual Posters for Classrooms (19)
- 3-Dimension Posters for Classrooms by DCI, SEP, and CCC (3)
- Mosa Mack Science (grades 4 - 8) - animated stories, hands on labs, scope & sequences, engineering
NGSS Standards & Frameworks
- A Framework for K-12 Science Education (The WHY)
- NGSS Standards (The WHAT)
- California Science Framework DRAFT (The HOW)
- Venn Diagram - Convergence of science, math, and ELA practices
- Evidence of Learning Statements - Observable and measurable components that, if met, will satisfy NGSS performance expectations; organized by grade level and DCI.
- Bundling Standards (released June 2016) - Show connections between ideas, facilitate phenomenon-driven instruction, and promote efficient use of instructional time. They can form end goals for instruction at a similar scale to that of traditional curricular units. Several bundles can be assembled such that they coherently address all of the standards found within a grade level of instruction, including possible time frames for instruction and assessment; when this process is done strategically, the bundles can form the outline of an entire course.
- VIDEO (3:00) - Phenomena are an essential part of implementing the NGSS. But what are phenomena, and how can they be used?
- Progression of Scientific and Engineering Practices in Grades K–12 (NGSS CA Framework, June 2016)
- Appendix 1 - Recommended Literature for Science Classrooms (NGSS CA Framework, June 2016)
- Glossary of 3-Dimension Overview Flyer (NGSS CA Framework, June 2016)
- Glossary of Acronyms (NGSS CA Framework, June 2016)
- Ventura County Office of Education - NGSS Professional Learning for ADMINISTRATORS Planning Guide
- Ventura County Office of Education - NGSS Professional Learning for TEACHERS Planning Guide
- How Today's Students Learn Science (infographic)
- NGSS Parent Guides
Additional NGSS Resources