The following is a selective narrative of issues discussed and business transacted at recent board meetings. For detailed meeting minutes, please go to our BoardDocs website and select the meeting of your choice.
Wednesday, September 18, 2019
- (this Action item was moved to the top of the agenda) Board approved the appointment of Dr. Irene Gonzalez-Castillo as Assistant Superintendent, Student Services effective October 1, 2019.
- Matthews welcomed Dr. Gonzalez-Castillo to MBUSD. Dr. Gonzalez-Castillo introduced herself to the Board and introduced members of her family in attendance.
- Murakawa-Leopard and Pacific Principal Rhonda Steinberg applauded Mr. Ed Jozefecick, Director of Operations, for his heroic acts discovering the source of a fire alarm in the early morning weekend hours two weeks prior. Pacific PTA presidents presented him with a gift of thanks.
- Student Board Members reported on events and activities occurring at MBMS and MCHS.
- Public Comment
- Ali Steward of BCHD informed the Board of the upcoming Walk-to-School Day and the Families Connected Speaker Series.
- A number of parents and students addressed the Board regarding the Badminton team at Mira Costa.
- Carrie Wetsch invited families with students of special needs to attend the upcoming SEAC meeting on September 24.
- Approved Notice of Completion for Commercial Roofing Systems, Inc. for the Meadows Elementary Portables Summer 2019 Roofing project.
- Approved payments to the Division of the State Architect for Plan Review for Grand View Elementary, and Pennekamp Elementary Modernization Projects.
- Ratified Independent Contractor Agreement for 2019/20 School Year, for the Provision of Transportation Services with Durham School Services, L.P.
- Ratified GLAAS Master Contract for the 2019/20 School Year for Nonsectarian, Nonpublic Agency and School Services.
- California Healthy Kids Survey. Dr. Whittaker Stopp briefed the Board on results of the CHKS administered to 7th, 9th, and 11th grade students in the spring of 2019.
- The Board and staff discussed possible dates and topics for future Board Workshops.
- Adopted revised MBUSD Board Policy 3100, Budget, and reviewed the corresponding Administrative Regulation revisions.
Wednesday, September 4, 2019
- Public Comment – John Dargan addressed the Board regarding the 2018-19 budget.
- Following this presentation by Dr. Murakawa-Leopard, Board approved the 2018-19 Unaudited Actuals Financial Report.
- Approved Resolution 2019-21 Adopting the Mitigated Negative Declaration for the Grand View Elementary Renovation Project and approved the Notice of Determination.
- Ratified Student Services Special Employment Agreement for 2019/20 school year with Robert Shields, LCSW, PPSC.
- Ratified Student Services Special Employment Agreement for 2019/20 school year with Alpha Interpreting Agency.
- Ratified Student Services Special Employment Agreement for 2019/20 school year with Gelbart and Associates.
- Board approved amendment to Superintendent’s contract establishing Superintendent’s salary, effective July 1, 2019.
- California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) Results. Dr. Whittaker Stopp reviewed 2019 MBUSD CAASPP scores as they compared with the previous five years’ scores.
- Adopted revised Board Policy 5132, Dress and Grooming, and reviewed revised Administrative Regulation 5132.
- Board approved two revised School Connected Organizations.
- Items for Future Board Discussion
- The Board discussed the need for workshops. Topics and dates will be discussed at a future meeting.
Wednesday, August 22, 2019
- The Board thanked Ms. Locklear and Dr. Lucas for their dedicated service to MBUSD and wished them well as they move on to L.A. County Office of Education and Lynwood USD, respectively.
- Public Comment – Several parents spoke regarding 4th grade class sizes at Robinson. The Board was able to address the issue later in the meeting because it was part of the agenda item discussing enrollment in 2019-20.
- Design Development plans for MB Preschool, Grand View Elementary School, and Pennekamp Elementary School were approved.
- Board approved the final draft of the 2019-20 Board Goals.
- Approved payments to the Division of the State Architect for Plan Review for the MB Preschool, Robinson, and Meadows modernization projects.
- Approved DLR architectural and engineering fee adjustment proposals for Measure C projects.
- Approved agreement with Silver Creek for the procurement of classroom buildings for Grand View and Pennekamp.
- Approved Food and Nutrition Services Contracts and Agreements 2019-20.
- Approved purchase of 42 Apple MacBook Pro computers for MCHS staff.
- A public hearing was held regarding certification of parcel tax rate for 2019-2020 assessment, and Board approved the Agreement for Billing of Direct Assessments with the L.A. County Assessor’s Office for Measure MB.
- Approved agreement for special services with Atkinson, Andelson, Loya, Ruud & Romo.
- Approved Notice of Completion for Balfour Beatty for the security fencing project.
- Approved purchase orders for utility services.
- Approved revisions to the 2019-20 budget.
- Approved Student Services school counseling agreement for 2019-20 school year with South Bay Children’s Health Center.
- Approved Resolution 2019-20 authorizing assignments in accordance with Education Code.
- Approved purchase of Chromebooks and Google Chrome Management Console licenses for MCHS Algebra 1.
- Approved Technology Integration and Support Plan Agreement between MBUSD and PlanetBravo, LLC for the 2019-20 school year.
- Forty-nine (49) School Connected Organizations were approved by the Board.
- Board adopted revised Board Policy 3510 regarding Green School Operations.
Items for Future Board Discussion
- Analysis of partial day absences, especially at the secondary level.
Wednesday, July 10, 2019
- Mark Leyman, Parks and Recreation Director of the City of Manhattan Beach, updated the Board on plans for the new children’s play area at Polliwog Park. To see the artists’ rendering of the proposed play area design, click here.
- Public Comment – A number of people (students, parents, staff members, alumni) addressed the Board regarding the choral program at MBMS. The Board thanked those who spoke but could not address the issue because it was not on the agenda.
- Design Development plans for MB Preschool, Grand View Elementary School, and Pennekamp Elementary School were presented by DLR. Board asked that DLR return at a future meeting and provide more detail, especially with regard to the project budget. The Board will vote on this at their August meeting.
- Approved open purchase orders for Maintenance and Operations.
- Approved Consolidated Application for 2019-2020.
- Approved Air Tutors Contract for Services Agreement for MCHS students.
- MBUSD Board Goals for the 2019-20 School Year. Dr. Matthews shared a draft of new goals for 2019-20 based on discussion at the June 24 Board Workshop. A discussion ensued and staff will present an updated draft for discussion and possible adoption at the August Board Meeting.
- A number of board policy revisions were adopted and updated administrative regulations were reviewed.
Items for Future Board Discussion
- The next scheduled Board Meeting is August 14, 2019. However, two Board Members will not be available that day. Staff will poll the Board and Cabinet to determine a better alternate date. Any date change will be publicized in advance.
Wednesday, June 19, 2019
- Ali Steward, Director of Youth Services for Beach Cities Health District, spoke about health awareness, efforts to promote social emotional health, and many other components of the community-wide Partnership for Youth Coalition. MCHS students Ella Scalabrini and Amanda Costley spoke of their involvement with the Youth Advisory Board and plans for the upcoming year. To see the PowerPoint presentation, click here.
- Approved MBUSD participation in Beach Cities’ Partnership for Youth Coalition.
- Approved Envision AGA Algebra 1 8-year license for 8th and 9th grades.
- Approved purchase of 500 Chromebooks (for implementation in 6th grade 2019-20).
- MBUSD Board Goals for the 2019-20 School Year. Dr. Matthews shared last year’s goals and explained that the Board will meet on June 24 to discuss goals for 2019-20. He encouraged public review and input.
- Public Hearing on the Local Control Accountability Plan. Ms. Cochran opened a public hearing on the LCAP. Dr. Matthews shared information about areas of growth and areas of need. Board members and the members of the public who were in attendance asked questions and provided comments on the data presented. After discussion, Ms. Cochran closed the public hearing.
- Public Hearing on the 2019-20 MBUSD Annual Budget. Ms. Cochran opened the hearing. Dr. Murakawa-Leopard shared a presentation that indicated a challenging fiscal period in the next few years. Board members and the members of the public who were in attendance provided comments and asked questions regarding projections and facts included in the presentation. After discussion, the public hearing was closed.