The following is a selective narrative of issues discussed and business transacted at recent board meetings. For detailed meeting minutes, please go to our BoardDocs website and select the meeting of your choice.
Wednesday, July 10, 2019
- Mark Leyman, Parks and Recreation Director of the City of Manhattan Beach, updated the Board on plans for the new children’s play area at Polliwog Park. To see the artists’ rendering of the proposed play area design, click here.
- Public Comment – A number of people (students, parents, staff members, alumni) addressed the Board regarding the choral program at MBMS. The Board thanked those who spoke but could not address the issue because it was not on the agenda.
- Design Development plans for MB Preschool, Grand View Elementary School, and Pennekamp Elementary School were presented by DLR. Board asked that DLR return at a future meeting and provide more detail, especially with regard to the project budget. The Board will vote on this at their August meeting.
- Approved open purchase orders for Maintenance and Operations.
- Approved Consolidated Application for 2019-2020.
- Approved Air Tutors Contract for Services Agreement for MCHS students.
- MBUSD Board Goals for the 2019-20 School Year. Dr. Matthews shared a draft of new goals for 2019-20 based on discussion at the June 24 Board Workshop. A discussion ensued and staff will present an updated draft for discussion and possible adoption at the August Board Meeting.
- A number of board policy revisions were adopted and updated administrative regulations were reviewed.
Items for Future Board Discussion
- The next scheduled Board Meeting is August 14, 2019. However, two Board Members will not be available that day. Staff will poll the Board and Cabinet to determine a better alternate date. Any date change will be publicized in advance.
Wednesday, June 19, 2019
- Ali Steward, Director of Youth Services for Beach Cities Health District, spoke about health awareness, efforts to promote social emotional health, and many other components of the community-wide Partnership for Youth Coalition. MCHS students Ella Scalabrini and Amanda Costley spoke of their involvement with the Youth Advisory Board and plans for the upcoming year. To see the PowerPoint presentation, click here.
- Approved MBUSD participation in Beach Cities’ Partnership for Youth Coalition.
- Approved Envision AGA Algebra 1 8-year license for 8th and 9th grades.
- Approved purchase of 500 Chromebooks (for implementation in 6th grade 2019-20).
- MBUSD Board Goals for the 2019-20 School Year. Dr. Matthews shared last year’s goals and explained that the Board will meet on June 24 to discuss goals for 2019-20. He encouraged public review and input.
- Public Hearing on the Local Control Accountability Plan. Ms. Cochran opened a public hearing on the LCAP. Dr. Matthews shared information about areas of growth and areas of need. Board members and the members of the public who were in attendance asked questions and provided comments on the data presented. After discussion, Ms. Cochran closed the public hearing.
- Public Hearing on the 2019-20 MBUSD Annual Budget. Ms. Cochran opened the hearing. Dr. Murakawa-Leopard shared a presentation that indicated a challenging fiscal period in the next few years. Board members and the members of the public who were in attendance provided comments and asked questions regarding projections and facts included in the presentation. After discussion, the public hearing was closed.