The fundamental purpose of the Manhattan Beach Unified School District is to ensure that all students learn at high levels. Within our Personalized Learning Framework, we take collective responsibility for educating the whole child and focus on evidence of learning to ensure student success. MBUSD students identified as Gifted and Talented receive differentiated instruction within the general education classroom under the guidance of a GATE certified teacher. Each educator creates an atmosphere that is intellectually and academically appropriate, fosters creativity, and provides emotional support for each student.
Qualification for Gifted and Talented identification
There are neither nation-wide nor state-wide standards for identification. Each school district may determine program guidelines and policies regarding all aspects of GATE.
In MBUSD, Students scoring 135+ on the OLSAT 8 are identified as gifted and talented. Students scoring 130 - 134 and exceeding expectations in both ELA and math of the CAASPP, are identified as gifted and talented. Students who do not qualify (129 and below) may take the OLSAT again (twice in a three year period).
OLSAT 8 Testing for GATE Identification
The OLSAT 8 exam will be offered to grades 3-7 for GATE identification during the month of March. Please contact your school's principal for specific testing and make-up testing dates between March 2nd and March 31st. Grade 3 exams will be administered during the school day. Grades 4-7 exams will be administered after school by voluntary sign-up. You will want to contact your school office for more information about signing up to take the exam. Students who have already been identified for GATE do not need to take the exam again.
Otis-Lennon School Ability Test, Eighth Edition (OLSAT8)
The exam time allotted for each level is 40 minutes. The exams will be administered as follows:
Grade 3-Level D (64 items)
Grade 4-Level E (72 items)
Grade 5-Level E (72 items)
Grade 6-Level F (72 items)
Grade 7-Level F (72 items)
OLSAT 8 Description
4th and 5th Grade
- Identified students are placed with a teacher who has earned (or is in the processing of earning) his/her GATE certification
- Teachers receive a list of the students who are GATE identified and a purple folder with information such as but not limited to:
- list of student interests
- work samples
- Identified students are placed with a math and science teacher who have earned (or is in the processing of earning) GATE certification
- Students' purple folders are kept in the counseling office through grade eight.
- Overnight Field Trip
- Program/Location: USS Midway in San Diego
- Dates – Feb. 7-8, 2020
- Students will depart MBMS at 1:00 PM and return the following day at approximately 11:30 AM
- Identified students are placed with a science teacher who has earned (or is in the processing of earning) GATE certification
- Overnight Field Trip
- Program/Location: Ocean Institute – Sea Floor Explorer Program in Dana Point
- Mar. 25 to 26, 2020 (girls)
- Mar. 26 to 27, 2020 (boys)
- Students will depart MBMS at 1:00 PM and return the following day at approximately 12:00 PM
8th Grade GATE Overnight Field Trip
- Program/Location: Fulcrum Adventures in Ojai
- Dates – Nov. 7 to 8, 2019
- Students will depart MBMS at 12:30 PM and return the following day at approximately 4:30 PM
GATE Advisory Committee (GAC) Parent Workshop
Proposed GATE Plan Board Presentation-May 4, 2016
GATE Advisory Committee (GAC) Minutes and Presentations
Odyssey of the Mind
Odyssey of the Mind Information
Los Angeles Region Odyssey of the Mind
Click here for more information about LA area events.
Beyond the Classroom
MBX holds after school enrichment classes at each of our Elementary Schools and at Manhattan Beach Middle School. To learn about sessions dates and courses please visit the MBX website. These classes are open to all students with common interests/passions.
There are summer opportunities designed specifically for gifted and talented students in the elementary, middle, and high school grades sponsored by outside organizations. The web links below are sponsored by the California Association for the Gifted and the National Association for the Gifted. Inclusion of these links and the companies mentioned within does not imply endorsement by the Manhattan Beach Unified School District. If you have specific questions about summer opportunities, please contact the companies noted in the links directly, or you can contact the sponsoring organizations via phone or email.