The mission of the Manhattan Beach Unified School District’s (MBUSD) Gifted and Talented Education Program (GATE) is to provide gifted and talented students differentiated instruction that is commensurate with their abilities. Gifted and talented students pursue their education under the guidance of GATE certificated teachers in an atmosphere that is intellectually and academically rigorous, fosters creativity, and provides emotional support.
For more information, contact Katherine Whittaker Stopp, Ed.D., Assistant Superintendent of Educational Services.
GATE Advisory Committee (GAC) Parent Workshop
Personalized Learning and GATE in MBUSD
Proposed GATE Plan Board Presentation-May 4, 2016
OLSAT 8 Description
GATE Advisory Committee (GAC) Minutes and Presentations
GATE Overnight Field Trips at MBMS
6th Grade GATE Overnight Field Trip
- Program/Location: USS Midway in San Diego
- Dates – Mar. 8-9, 2019
- Students will depart MBMS at 1:00 PM and return the following day at approximately 11:30 AM
7th Grade GATE Overnight Field Trip
- Program/Location: Ocean Institute – Sea Floor Explorer Program in Dana Point
- Jan. 16 to 17, 2019 (girls)
- Jan. 17 to 18, 2019 (boys)
- Students will depart MBMS at 1:00 PM and return the following day at approximately 12:00 PM
8th Grade GATE Overnight Field Trip
- Program/Location: Fulcrum Adventures in Malibu
- Dates – Nov. 1 to 2, 2018
- Students will depart MBMS at 12:30 PM and return the following day at approximately 4:30 PM
Odyssey of the Mind
Odyssey of the Mind Information
Los Angeles Region Odyssey of the Mind
Click here for more information about LA area events.
There are many summer opportunities designed specifically for gifted and talented students in the elementary, middle, and high school grades. The web links below are sponsored by the California Association for the Gifted, the National Association for the Gifted, and the Texas Association for the Gifted. Inclusion of these links and the companies mentioned within does not imply endorsement by the Manhattan Beach Unified School District. If you have specific questions about summer opportunities, please contact the companies noted in the links directly, or you can contact the sponsoring organizations via phone or email.